Sunday, November 19, 2006

Week 11 Prediction

I have to be honest. I came into the season with certain expectations, and after winning their last two games, the 49ers have me throwing those expectations out the window and dreaming of something bigger. And yet at the same time I actually realize there's a very good chance that I'll just be setting myself up for disappointment. But I guess that's part of being a fan. Every so often the team will fulfill your hopes and expectations. When that happens the excitement makes up for all the bad losses.

It looks like one of Alexander or Hasselbeck will play, with it likely being Alexander. I'm going into this game assuming as much.

Best Case Scenario
49ers 31 - Seahawks 13: Alexander shows rust and the Seahawks run game is shut down by the continuing resurgence of the 49ers defense. Seneca Wallace's legs are contained and he doesn't do much damage through the air. Vernon Davis plays and the 49ers air attack resurfaces, as Antonio Bryant has a vintage Jerry Rice-type day on the day the team honors Rice.

Worst Case Scenario
Seahawks 38 - 49ers 6: Alexander blows up in his return with 3+ TDs and the 49ers offense is nonexistent. The only sign of offense, besides Joe Nedney, is Jerry Rice jokingly running a fly pattern during his halftime ceremony.

I'm gonna stick with my midseason prediction of 49ers 21-Seahawks 17. This is the first game of the Mike Nolan with real meaning in terms of postseason implications. A win here puts the 49ers at .500 and a game back of the Seahawks, effectively turning up the heat. Here's hoping the team can step up and make a legitimate statement.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dang! Frank gore is just chompin' off yards. He's already got something like 120 yards and were not even through the half. This team is looking pretty damn good right now.

David Fucillo said...

And I really like that they went right back to him when they got the interception after he fumbled. Shows they have confidence in him no matter what, which will be key the rest of the way.