Monday, November 13, 2006

Dare I Say.....Playoff Implications???

I'll be the first to admit that the 49ers best win this season came against an ok Rams during the home opener. The other 3 wins were against a crappy Raiders team, a Vikings team that is average at best and a bad Lions team. The '85 Bears we are not.

HOWEVER, with the win this week, the 49ers are 4-5 and all of a sudden in the thick of a division race, with the division leader coming to town only 2 games up. Now if the 49ers lay an egg on Sunday just forget everything I'm saying here. However, an upset on Sunday leaves the 49ers 5-5 and one out, as well being in the thick of the wildcard race. I know that I admitted I would be quite happy with 6 wins this year. If you told me they would be 4-5 at this point with an outside shot at winning the division, I would definitely call you crazy. Maybe I'm the crazy one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

>"Dare I Say.....Playoff Implications???"

I was thinking the exact same thing as the game was winding down yesturday. I quickly went and checked the standings and surely enough, the 49ers were moving into second in the division, in a relatively "weak" division.

I've thought this 49ers team was capable of 8 wins, and they're pushing toward it now. 6 may be where they end up, but it could be an exciting next few weeks.

As you pointed out in your last entry, Hasselback may or may not play. This may cause issues for the defensive gameplanning during the week (and subsequently practice) as Seneca Wallace and Matt Hasselback play totally different styles. Then again, with the "vanilla" defense the 49ers have been playing lately, it may not really be a problem at all.